Not only must the Bible be central in our gatherings as a church; but it must be central in our lives as individual members.
So let’s encourage each other to become serious about God’s Word. Let’s commit to be radically transformed by the life-changing power of the Scriptures (Psalm 19:7-10; 2 Timothy 3:16-17). For that to happen, we must commit to the daily diligent reading of the Scriptures.
For your convenience, here are some helpful tools for this endeavor. We’ve categorized them under 3 objectives in your reading: Read for survey, for study, and for your soul.
Read for Survey
These plans bring variety and a fresh approach to each day. It will be about 15-20 minutes of reading or listening to the Bible.
- Follow one of our Reading Plans for the year.
- The Community Bible Experience: Books of the Bible. These specially developed Bibles are designed to be more like the original. No verse numbers, no chapter numbers, no cross-references, no red letters, and no paragraph headings. Each provides a reading plan to be utilized for a small group discussion.
Read for Study
- Invest in a good Study Bible
- Listen to a sermon series through a book of the Bible.
- Find another person(s) to meet with on a weekly basis for encouragement, discussion, and prayer regarding what you are reading. You could utilize the Community Bible Experience or follow the One to One Bible Reading concept.
- Utilize tools to increase your understanding of how to study the Bible. Women of the Word, Dig Deeper, and Knowable Word are excellent resources to help you become a better student of the Word.
Read for Soul
- Build a biography of God (Download an example to get you started – Biography of My God)
- Praying Scripture. This article provides a very helpful and practical explanation for a simple way to both read and pray the Scriptures.
Scripture Memory + Meditation Helps
- Scripture Typer – Bible Memory System
- The Gospel Primer for Christians: Learning to See the Glories of God’s Love (Milton Vincent)
- Turn Away Wrath: Meditations to Control Anger and Bitterness (Rand Hummel)
- Fear Not: Meditations to Overcome Fear, Worry, and Discouragement (Rand Hummel)
- Lest Ye Fall: Meditations to Fight Moral Impurity (Rand Hummel)
- What Do I Know About My God? (Mardi Collier)
- Prayer NB App
- Praying the Bible (Don Whitney)
- Valley of Vision: A Collection of Puritan Prayers & Devotions
- Handbook to Prayer (Kenneth Boa)
For the Kids