In His book, Reverberation, pastor and author Jonathan Leeman says, “God’s Word working through God’s Spirit, is God’s primary instrument for growing God’s church.” From the very beginning, it has been His Word that God has used to bring life, growth, and health. This is why we would suggest that our core value of Biblical Truth is foundational to our church. It’s the spring from which all the other values flow and the bedrock in which all the other values are anchored.
WE HONOR THE BIBLE AS GOD’S REVELATION TO MAN AND OUR FINAL AUTHORITY FOR BELIEF AND BEHAVIOR
This leads us to:
- Prioritize the faithful and accurate teaching and preaching of the Bible,
- Elevate the centrality of the Word in our life together as a church, and
- Commit to the personal reading, meditation, and application of God’s Word.
As a result of these commitments, each year we seek to give ourselves to a simple, yet consistent reading of the Bible. For 2022, here are two different Bible reading plans we are encouraging the church family to consider.
CHOOSE A PLAN
One of these plans works through the entire Bible at multiple chapters a day, the other works through the New Testament at only one chapter a day. Visit our Treasuring Scripture Together webpage for the details on both of these plans.
- BOOK-AT-A-TIME READING PLAN
- NEW TESTAMENT PLUS (NT+)
REMEMBER THE CHURCH
While reading the Bible is vital to your spiritual growth, it’s important you don’t do so in isolation! As members one of another, we are to encourage each other toward faithfulness (Heb 10:23-25). The reason many people give up when trying to read through the Bible is that they go at it alone. Taking this journey with each other helps us stay on track. We receive help from others when we’re stuck. Others help us to see things we often miss when we’re alone. We can also provide much-needed mutual encouragement, accountability, and prayer.
So if you’re consistently in the Word, how can you encourage others in the church to be consistent, too? If you are not consistently in the Word, would you appreciate someone helping you establish consistency?
USE THE TOOLS
If you’re ready to begin, here’s how to make it happen.
1) CHOOSE A PLAN
- For the Book-at-a-time plan, you can download a printable version here or contact the office to get a copy.
- For the NT+ plan, you can visit Bible.com and follow the instructions to create your free account, then download the Bible App to your smartphone or tablet. Search for the OWNIT365 New Testament (NT+) plan, then click “Start Plan”.
2) GET SOCIAL
- Meet up with 1 or 2 others from your small group each week. Discuss what you’ve learned through your reading and pray together for God to continue to use His Word to grow and deepen our church.
- Consider joining the Treasuring Scripture Together Facebook group. Share your insights, ask questions, and provide encouragement to others.
- When posting your thoughts, ideas, and encouragement to any social media platform, use the hashtag, #treasuringscripture and tag Lebanon Baptist Church. We are on Instagram, Twitter, and Facebook.
MAINTAIN THE RIGHT FOCUS
Be careful. Do not approach this as a “New Year’s Resolution”. That mentality will quickly decline into checking off boxes. It will get overwhelming to keep up with a schedule or count the number of verses and chapters to conquer in any given week. Remember, Bible reading isn’t about getting through a checklist and completing a plan; it’s about knowing Jesus and learning to treasure His Word. Don’t turn it into something mechanical. Just get to know God and let His Word inform your beliefs and captivate your affections.
Will you commit to reading the Bible this year?
The plans begin on January 1, 2022. We look forward to taking this journey together. If you have any questions, please contact the church office.