A.W. Tozer once said that “what comes into our minds when we think about God is the most important thing about us.” So, what do you, deep in your heart, conceive God to be like?
We are, in part, “the product of a Christian culture that has fostered and promoted a small, domesticated view of God. The Western Christianity in which I have been immersed focuses on the practicality of faith. We present God as the best way to a happy and prosperous life. We show how God is the best explanation for unanswered questions and the best means to the life we desire … The shallow glimpses of God are fine as long as our faith remains untested, but they are utterly insufficient in the midsts of serious question or intense suffering.” (p. 23)
But God is big. God is bigger than big. Bigger than all the words we use to say big. Unfortunately, we like our God . . . small.
We prefer a God who is safe, domesticated, who thinks like we think, likes what we like, and whom we can manage, predict, and control. A small God is convenient. Practical. Manageable.
Besides the fact that kind of thinking in no way lines up with Jehovah God revealed to us in the Word …
- Have you ever considered that your version of God is why you don’t pray as you should?
- Have you ever realized that your view of God plays into why you have such a hard time sharing the Gospel with your neighbor?
- Have you ever concluded that your little view of God is why the worship gatherings of the church are often boring to you?
- Have you ever considered that your view of God plays into your anxious responses to pressure and difficult circumstances?
- Have you ever evaluated that your fear of giving yourself to church-planting efforts or global missions is related to how small your God is?
- Have you ever realized that your view of God is actually holding you back from genuine, confident, world-transforming faith?
In Not God Enough, you’ll learn to discover the God of the Bible is a God who:
- is big enough to handle your questions, doubts, and fears
- is a God of wrath and a God of love
- is not silent
- is worthy of worship
- wants to take you from boring to bold in your faith
- has a purpose and mission for you on earth, and
- is pursuing you right now.
God is not just a slightly better, slightly smarter version of you. God is infinite and glorious, and an encounter with Him won’t just change the way you think about your faith. It’ll change your entire life.God is not just a slightly better, slightly smarter version of you. God is infinite and glorious, and an encounter with Him won’t just change the way you think about your faith. It’ll change your entire life. #notGodenough Click To Tweet