The key to the Christian life is simply doing the basics well.
While that may sound overly simplistic, it’s really the beauty of genuine Christian growth. Even Paul told Timothy that the key to being faithful to Jesus in a corrupted world was a commitment to the basics.
But as for you, continue in what you have learned and have firmly believed.
Too many believers today seem to be looking for the latest and greatest programs, searching for the 7 steps to victory, or 3 keys to successful growth, or the 5 secrets of maturity. But, if we understand the Bible correctly, those special “secrets” are not out there! We need to stop looking for something more, something different, something else. We need to know, understand, remember, and obey the basics. When we abandon the basics of the Christian life, everything else begins to drift off course.When we abandon the basics of the Christian life, everything else begins to drift off course. Click To Tweet
Over the last several weeks, our church has worked through a simple discipling tool called, Just for Starters. This was a series of studies designed to help a new believer get established in foundational areas of Christian belief and behavior. However, this wasn’t only a study in helping brand new Christians; it was also an exercise in getting back to basics.
So how are you doing with the basics?
In light of our studies, why not take some time to consider your own life in these things? Not only will it be a good review of the main points of the Just for Starters classes, but it’s a good way to evaluate yourself on these important basics.¹
Lesson 1 & 2 – Saved by God and Trusting in God
- What does it mean to be saved?
- From what does a person need to be saved?
- Are you assured of your salvation?
- On what grounds do you have this assurance?
Lesson 3 – Living God’s Way
- Does it matter how you live as a Christian? Why?
- Can you think of a recent instance where you said “no” to worldly desires?
- As you think about the future, are your thoughts dominated by the hope of Christ’s return?
Lesson 4 – Listening to God
- Why should you read the Bible?
- How should you read the Bible?
- Can you think of a recent example where you adjusted your life because of something specific you learned or were reminded of from a certain passage of Scripture?
Lesson 5 – Talking to God
- Why should you pray?
- What things can you pray about?
- What things have you prayed about recently?
- Who have you prayed for recently?
Lesson 6 – Meeting with God’s Family
- What is the purpose of gathering with believers?
- Why is assembling so vital to your Christian life?
- In what ways do you intentionally spur other church members on to faithfully serve Jesus?
- How committed are you to meeting with the church whenever the body meets?
Lesson 7 – Meeting the World
- When was the last time you shared the gospel with a non-Christian?
- Which non-Christian are you praying for? “Who’s your ‘one’?”
These are the basics of the Christian life. Of course, simple is not the same as easy, but, by God’s grace, we can be a church that focuses on just doing the basics well as we seek to make disciples of Jesus for the glory of God!
¹Evaluation questions adapted from the training course Preparing Just for Starters