It’s almost December 1st! Why not enjoy a simple Advent reading plan in preparation for Christmas?
The following plan includes readings from major New Testament passages leading up to the birth of the Messiah, as well as some significant texts from Hebrews, Jeremiah, and 1 John all helping you rejoice in Jesus as the center of your holiday season.
The reading plan listed below is taken from John Piper’s brief devotional, Good News of Great Joy! Of course the passages stand alone, but they have been laid out to be read in conjunction with the respective chapters in the book. We would encourage each family to pick up a copy of this little book to help you learn to adore Jesus this Christmas season!
- Introduction: What Does Jesus Want This Christmas?
- December 1: Prepare the Way (Luke 1:16–17)
- December 2: Mary’s Magnificent God (Luke 1:46–55)
- December 3: The Long-Awaited Visitation (Luke 1:68–71)
- December 4: For God’s Little People (Luke 2:1–5)
- December 5: No Detour from Calvary (Luke 2:6–7)
- December 6: Peace to Those with Whom He’s Pleased (Luke 2:12–14)
- December 7: Messiah for the Magi (Matthew 2:1–2)
- December 8: Bethlehem’s Supernatural Star (Matthew 2:2)
- December 9: Two Kinds of Opposition to Jesus (Matthew 2:3)
- December 10: Gold, Frankincense, and Myrrh (Matthew 2:10–11)
- December 11: Why Jesus Came (Hebrews 2:14–15)
- December 12: Replacing the Shadows (Hebrews 8:1–2)
- December 13: The Final Reality Is Here (Hebrews 8:1–2)
- December 14: Making It Real for His People (Hebrews 8:6)
- December 15: Life and Death at Christmas (John 10:10)
- December 16: God’s Most Successful Setback (John 17:18)
- December 17: The Greatest Salvation Imaginable (Jeremiah 31:31)
- December 18: The Christmas Model for Missions (John 17:18)
- December 19: Christmas Is for Freedom (Hebrews 2:14–15)
- December 21: The Birth of the Ancient of Days (John 18:37)
- December 22: That You May Believe (John 20:30–31)
- December 23: God’s Indescribable Gift (Romans 5:10–11)
- December 24: The Son of God Appeared (1 John 3:7–8)
- December 25: Three Christmas Presents (1 John 3:7–8)