We’ve recently begun a sermon series through Genesis 12-20 to explore the life of Abraham. Of course, Abraham is a popular Bible character, but how well do you know the details of his life? Here are 20 questions to help you investigate a little more about him.
- Try to answer these together with your family or roommates.
- Or you could challenge a fellow church member to a contest.
- Maybe you could have a friendly competition within your small group.
Actually, let’s do a church-wide competition with this.
Here we go …
CHANGE: The contest has been extended 1 week and will end at noon on June 24. You are welcome to use your Bible, sermons, commentaries, books, or even Google. Whenever you are finished, just print out your answers and give them to one of the pastors or email your work to firstname.lastname@example.org.
Oh, and by the way, there are prizes for 1st, 2nd, and 3rd place!
20 Questions: Patriarch Edition
- Who was Abraham’s father?
- Where is Haran?
- How old was Abraham when he left his home?
- Using the text, trace back the birth years and see if you can find out about how old the earth was when Abraham was in Ur?
- How old was he when God changed his name from Abram (אַבְרָ֑ם) to Abraham (אַבְרָהָ֔ם)?
- Can you trace Abraham’s journey on a map?
- Where did Abraham build altars and dig wells?
- How long did Abraham stay at each place?
- What does it mean for Abraham to “call upon the name of the Lord?”
- What exactly did Abraham believe for God to count him as righteous?
- Where was Hagar from?
- How old was Abraham when Ishmael was born?
- When did Lot leave Abraham?
- What was the name of the king that took Lot prisoner?
- When did God re-confirm His covenant with Abraham?
- What is the significance of Melchizadek in Abraham’s life?
- How old was Isaac when Abraham offered him up to God?
- Where did Abraham bury Sarah?
- Who was Abraham’s second wife?
- Father Abraham had many sons (8 that we know for sure). Can you list their names?
*BONUS QUESTION: How far removed would Abraham have been from knowing Shem? Noah? Adam?
The first to turn in the most correct answers will win a beautiful leather ESV Gospel Transformation Bible from Crossway.
The runner-up will win a copy of the book Before You Open Your Bible: 9 Heart Postures for Approaching God’s Word, by Matt Smethurst
Our 3rd place winner will receive an authentic Lebanon Baptist Church T-shirt designed by none other than our own – the Lauren VanDame.
Thanks for participating!